The polo season has concluded for 2014. We hope you'll join us on Memorial Day Sunday, May 31 next spring to kick-off the 2015 season.
Polo matches are held every Sunday, from Memorial Day weekend through mid-October, weather and field conditions permitting. Matches are free and begin at 1:00 pm. Please visit this page, or our Facebook Page on Sunday mornings after 9:00 am to confirm that we will be playing or call 434-823-7800.
Interested in learning to play polo? Please contact Lou Lopez at 434-409-2637 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
After David & Ellen King moved to Virginia from Houston, Texas in 1995, their search for a farm had one priority; 12 acres of relatively flat ground for a polo field. Vineyards and a winery were not even a dream at that point.
David King, one of the founders of King Family Vineyards, had played polo since 1980 and wanted a field and club to continue enjoying the sport.
The farm that now contains both Roseland Polo and King Family Vineyards fit perfectly into the family's vision: a country place where we could all live, work, and play.
WHAT IS ROSELAND POLO?
Roseland Polo is a United States Polo Association member club and our players are all residents of Central Virginia. Visiting teams and players from around the world are frequent visitors. Three full-time team members at King Family Vineyards are essential to our polo operation: Amanda Gee-Taylor maintains our playing field, Nazareno Acosta takes care of the horses, and Jake Brown coordinates match preparation and is our highest rated player.
TIPS FOR ENJOYING THE WORLD'S MOST EXCITING SPORT
- SPEED LIMIT: 10 MPH. For the safety of children and other spectators, limit your speed to 10 mph and remain on the gravel road when entering and exiting. Please do not drive across the grass.
- Upon arrival, park your car well behind the boards (50 feet or more). Vehicles are welcome to park “tailgate style” around the field. You may also park in the winery parking lot and watch the match from our patio. Please do not park your car on the grass around the winery.
- Bring chairs, blankets and shade. Popup tents and umbrellas are welcome. Because the horses can jump the boards during play, be sure to set up a safe distance from the fieldside boards (at least 30 feet). For your convenience, portable restrooms are located behind the scoreboard and on the south end of the field.
- King Family Vineyards wine will be for sale field-side. Flag down the golf cart circling the field during the match to purchase wine, bottled water, and Roseland Polo hats. All major credit cards accepted.
- Due to ABC laws, NO ALCOHOL other than King Family wine is permitted onsite. Our staff is required by law to prevent the consumption of other alcoholic beverages. Those who violate this policy put Sunday polo matches in jeopardy.
- ALL dogs must be on a leash at all times. Watch the match at all times as the ball, and horses, come over the boards during play. Exercise extreme caution when crossing the goal lines at either end of the field.
- To learn more about polo in our area, please visit the Virginia Polo website.